Thursday, July 31, 2008

Mastermind

With the high volume of scams on the Internet I am not surprised when I am at times challenged whether or not I can call myself an expert. Yes, I earn a living by teaching people how to use the Internet to earn money. That in and of itself does not make me an expert. Having a combination of formal education, private training, and experience over time does. Still, this does not mean that I know more than anyone else, or that I need to show my earnings to qualify as an expert.

While it is true that one should get marriage counseling from someone who has been married, or car advice from someone who has experience successfully fixing cars, it is also true that when one has a Mastermind, the issue of expertise becomes moot.

A Mastermind is a group of people who readily share their experience and skills for the benefit of each member of the group. Henry Ford, the innovator and founder of Ford Motor Company, once sued a local newspaper because it labeled him as 'ignorant.' He saw his credibility coming under fire. During the trial, the attorney for the newspaper kept asking Mr. Ford questions he could not answer. Finally, Henry said something like, "What does it matter that I don't know the answer? I have a group of men available at my disposal such that any question that comes up, all I need to do is push a button and I am connected with the expert in that field. With the combined knowledge I have access to, I myself do not need to know every piece of data you have asked me here today."

Henry Ford won his case. In many subjects, Internet Marketing included, it is not possible for one person to know every single aspect of the subject. Nor should one be expected to, even one such as myself who earns a living passing on what I have learned.

Each of my students knows that I present myself as both a student and a mentor. I have clients who know more than I do. These clients are wise enough to understand intuitively the power of the Mastermind and include me in their Mastermind group.

If you are considering purchasing training, do your due diligence, and see what background your potential mentor has, yes. However, also consider what resources come with that mentor or resource. Get referrals in addition to testimonials. See if you can actually talk to clients of whomever is giving you a sales pitch. Stay away from promises of earning large sums of money in a short period of time. Stay away from promises of virtually no work.

For myself, my Mastermind Group includes people from different disciplines. I know enough to teach what I know and I have access to people to answer questions I have. More expertise will cost you more money. Most people I've met who are really making the good money aren't really interested in mentoring others, they are too busy playing! So a mentor who is also a student is just fine. I will teach you what I know and we will learn together.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad to find information about Internet Marketing that isn't full of hype. May I add that Google really wants people to succeed. They have a lot of free tools for webmasters.

Anonymous said...

what's going on at Omni Business Solutions? I'm one of their customers. No live chat, problems with links and I'm not getting any straight answers. Help!

Gary J. Harris said...

Lynne:

Like any company based on technology, there are sometimes problems. My blog here is not a place where I represent my employer. I'm sure if you contact support at Omni they will be more than willing to help you.