Friday, December 26, 2008

What Do You Remember After Christmas?

Christmas morning comes, the kids open tons of presents and what then? The excitement is over, the mess is big, and the credit card is maxed out.

What do I remember today of yesterday's holiday? The people. My kids. The realization that my 5-year-old is very nurturing. She was very concerned that her new baby only came with one diaper--not because she wanted more toys, because the baby needed to be cared for.

Like many families of today, we are an Internet family. Much of our time is spent in the same house each on our separate computers, sometimes talking on MSN even though we are in the same home. The key is still to connect with people, especially family.

My oldest son gets this deep down in his soul. His present to me was one of time with him--online. Two years ago he got me hooked on playing an MMORPG (Massively Multi-player Online Role Playing Game). The one he plays is Final Fantasy XI. Now I have my own character again (I had left playing the game to spend more time Internet Marketing).

The two years since I last played has taught me the importance of relationships. One of my favorite marketing slogans is: People Buy People, not Stuff.

How is marketing related to playing an MMORPG? Relationships. In Final Fantasy XI, your character is out in the wilderness fighting monsters. At a certain point, you must band together with other characters (operated by other players around the world) in order to kill the monsters. This requires meeting people and working well in small groups. The connections my son has made over the last few years he has played this game have impressed me. He has gotten some business, yes, but of course that isn't the reason he plays. Still, I see playing this MMORPG will help my Internet Marketing in at least two ways: 1) It will increase my experience building relationships, and 2) It will increase my awareness of the cyber world. We live in a time where a significant percentage of our customer's time is spent online, we need to understand that culture by living it.

One last thing: Playing computer games can drain your time very easily. In fact, the makers of Final Fantasy IX have placed this warning as one enters the game.

I told myself I would not play until I got my blogging done for today. I have several blogs I write in, some I have neglected to the detriment of one of my own goals: to post 4 times per week on each blog. Well, with this motivation I've posted on each one. Now off to fight monsters!

1 comment:

nextiva fax reviews said...

The two years since I last played has taught me the importance of relationships. One of my favorite marketing slogans is: People Buy People, not Stuff.