Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Which is Better? Natural Traffic or Pay Per Click?

And the answer is: Yes.

After seven years of off again on again Internet Marketing, I have finally become convince that I should learn Pay Per Click. Now, maybe you think “Duh, what took you so long?” Here's the thing: There are enough free ways to get traffic that I wanted to champion the natural (also called organic) search engine optimization. I felt that people already spent enough money on scams and training that good content and sound elbow grease would be the hallmark of my expertise.

Where did things change for me? Right where they do for most businesses: my bottom line. As more and more people are making money online, the competition has increased. To keep myself marketable as a mentor for Internet Marketing, I no longer wish to turn away customers who want PPC. So now I embark on a learning curve and become, again, the student.

I still champion free traftic. Just like Word-Of-Mouth Marketing, it's one of the axioms of Internet Marketing. If someone finds me because of a referral, and if I have exactly what they want, the profit from the sale still tastes sweeter.

I don't believe good content will ever go away. Even with mobile media on the horizon. Now, I have to admit I may be wrong. One of my mentors once said that blogging was a fad and would soon fade. I'll folllow his example and state my best guess, stake my profits on it to some extent.

I challenge you to do the same. Become committed to life-long learning of your field. It used to be said that computers and programming were the primary fields where life-long learning was required. Now it is every field. If you don't learn more as you go, you'll miss out to someone who has been.

No comments: